Testing Method for Checking MOC of SS Material (Molybdenum Test): Equipment used in the pharmaceutical industry is mainly crafted from special types of Stainless Steel. The primary reason for using this metal is that it works well with most manufacturing methods. The medicine must contain only the components specified in the approved formula.
When we talk about 21 CFR, PART 211, Subpart D – Equipment, Sec. 211.65 Equipment construction, it mentions…”
Procedure for Molybdenum Test to Check Different SS Grades
The following steps outline the method for testing and determining the Material of Construction (MOC) of stainless steel (SS) using the Molybdenum test:
- Ensure the metal surface that needs to be tested is clean and free from any contaminants.
- Take the electrolyte solution from the molybdenum test kit and place a single drop onto the clean metal surface.
- Turn on the detector that will be used for testing.
- Gently touch the metal tip of the detector to the area of the metal surface where the electrolyte solution was applied. Simultaneously, touch the carbon point of the detector into the electrolyte solution droplet.
- Caution: Do not apply the current for more than 3 to 4 seconds.
Molybdenum Test Color Reaction on SS Grade:
- If a stable red color appears and remains for more than 2 seconds, it indicates that the Material of Construction (MOC) of the part being tested is SS-316.
- If the solution remains colorless or if a green color appears, it suggests that the MOC of the part being tested is SS-304.
- In the event that a stable black color appears and persists for more than 2 seconds, it can be concluded that the MOC of the part being tested is SS-302.