Aim: Preparation and Standardization of 0.1 M Silver Nitrate (AgNO3) solution by using sodium chloride in Pharmaceutical Labs.
Name: 0.1 M Silver Nitrate (AgNO3)
Reagents used to Prepare and Standardization of 0.1 M AgNO3 :
- Silver Nitrate (AgNO3)
- Acetic acid (CH3COOH)
- Sodium chloride (NaCl)
- Methanol (CH3OH)
- Eosin Y solution (indicator)
Glassware: Volumetric Flask, measuring cylinder, Burette, Conical Flask, beaker, and Pipettes.
In the lab, we used a process where we mixed silver nitrate with sodium chloride. This causes a white, lumpy substance called AgCl and sodium nitrate. We know the reaction is complete when the color changes from a yellow-green to a pinkish-purple. This color change happens because of a special chemical called Eosin Y, which reacts with extra silver ions. We do this experiment in acidic conditions, with a pH of about 2, and it should be done in the dark.
How to Prepare 0.1 M Silver Nitrate:
Dissolve 17.0 grams of Silver Nitrate in enough double distilled water to make 1000 milliliters.
How to Standardization 0.1 M Silver Nitrate:
- Precisely weighs about 0.1 grams of sodium chloride, which has been dried at 110 degrees for 2 hours.
- Dissolve it in 5 milliliters of distilled water.
- Add 5 milliliters of acetic acid, 50 milliliters of methanol, and 0.15 milliliters of eosin Y solution.
- Stir it, preferably using a magnetic stirrer, and titrate it with the silver nitrate solution.
- Each milliliter of 0.1 M silver nitrate is equal to 0.005844 grams of NaCl.
NaCl + AgNO3 → AgCl+ NaNO3
Reference: Indian Pharmacopoeia
- 0.1 M Sodium Nitrite Preparation and Standardization
- 0.05 M EDTA Solution Preparation and Standardization
- Preparation and Standardization of 0.1 M Ceric Ammonium Sulphate
- Preparation and Standardization of 0.1 M Disodium Edetate (EDTA)
- How can I Prepare and Standardize 0.5 M Sulfuric acid?
- 1.0 M Sulfuric Acid Solution- Preparation, Standardization, Reagents, Formula
- 0.1 M Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), Preparation and Standardization
- Preparation and Standardization of 1 M Sodium Hydroxide Solution (NaOH)
- Preparation and Standardization of 1.0 M Hydrochloric Acid
- Preparation and Standardization of 0.1 N HCl